Saturday 7 May 2011

things to do with Beeswax




This week the Wishing Well Challenge at the Craft Barn is using Beeswax for a project inspired by one of their DT creations. I seem to be in a technique mode this week so once again I decided to pull out the beeswax and melting pot and have a play. I was inspired by the way Michelle dipped her flowers and leaves so I set to playing with that first. The cover of the little technique book is inked with Tim Holtz Distress stains. The title was stamped onto tissue paper and then layered on with melted Beeswax and a brush. I then washed over it with Walnut Distress Stain and then added the stamped image randomly around.(Cherry blossom stamp from Amuse). The flower is made from wire twisted into petals and then dipped into the melted Beeswax(I did turn the heat down to 120 on the melt pot for this one so that the wax began to cool on the petals if it is at the full temp it just melts right through). This was a fun technique. I positioned the petals while the beeswax was still warm and wrapped together with floral tape. It is then coloured just a touch with Promarker. the Leaves are from Prima and just dipped in the wax then positioned. I also added a pearl pin and some Lace.



The next page is I think one of my favourites. I brushed the page with Distress stain in Wild Honey then stamped image using Tim Holtz Sewing stamps and Walnut ink. I then added some beeswax by using a brush and brushing from bottom up sparsely. Once cooled I scratched off some of the wax using a credit card and then inked the piece using Walnut Distress ink. then wiped it off. I am not sure why but I got that purple colour like paint. It looks really neat.




This next technique uses Stencils. I inked the background with a light blue distress ink then placed the diamond template on top and brushed on melted beeswax over the template. With the template still in place I scraped off the excess from the template and removed. I then brushed on Lilac Velvet Starburst Stains and blotted dry. Once dry I ironed off excess wax between 2 clean sheets of card. I finally stamped the images using Tim Holtz Sewing stamps and embossed the dress stand using Midnight Saphire Obsedian EP.



Next technique I did not like as much this time. I stamped the entire background using Tim Holtz Sewing stamps and then uses a cookie cutter with the beeswax to stamp on the bottom. I then added several stain colours and wiped off. the excess wax was removed by ironing between 2 sheets of card. I then added the 2 cleaner stampings in black. The flower is dyed with Distress stains and the dipped in wax. the button(another of my favourites) is wrapped in thread and then I dripped a drop or 2 of beeswax in the middle.



This last technique I am not really sure of. I was just playing around with some textures. I coloured the background using Distress stains and then wrapped it with thread. I then dipped another doubled up piece of thread in the melted wax and positioned it on the piece. I clipped the top off a pin and added as a needle. I then covered the entire piece with wax and melted off excess. I liked the way the thread took the wax and it was able to be pressed into place and shaped(taking notes for later projects).




Each of the pages is backed with card and the technique used is written on it. This was I can remember them later.


I think I might have to do this little book technique thing for some other projects too as it is both fun and productive.


Now I am off to pull in the laundry. Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day.


Angela










7 comments:

Zoechaos said...

Oh this is so special have not read all your post to busy looking at the pictures and making Oh noises this is so lovely. XOXO Zoe

sam21ski said...

What another fab book of techniques for you to treasure. Love the idea of using the wire to make the flower and dipping it in the wax to make the petals.

Sam xxxx

http://sam21ski.blogspot.com/

Meggymay said...

Fab reference book, love all the pages. Yvonne x

Brenda Brown said...

Oh my this is fabulous Angela, gonna have to bookmark this too and then experiment. I've never used beeswax before so now I am gonna have to get some.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

Poppet said...

Wow, how do you think of all these things. All the pages look fab. Hope your washing is dry. :-) xx

Anonymous said...

Lovely little book. thank you for entering the challenge

Von said...

Such a lovely book to remind you of the fab techniques you have used :)
Von