Thursday 7 October 2010

Lets Get Shabby Challenge 16

This months Lets Get Shabby Challenge was 2 parts. First we had to choose from one of 2 given kitchen photos for inspiration. I chose Kitchen # 2.


The second part was a recipe:

One piece of fabric
Two die cut shapes
Three colours from your chosen kitchen.

My fabric piece is in back of the photo for mounting. It is a piece of white cotton.

My 2 diecut shapes are flourishes by Chip off the olde block. I painted them with gesso then places a mesh fabric over them and painted again to leave a texture. I then added some edging with brown and some pink and green paint accents.

My 3 colours are Pink, green and yellow from the kitchen. I used papers from The girls paperie, Prima flowers along with some handmade flowers, beaded branches and flourishes(A tutorial for the beaded embellishments can be found here.)
Above is my completed layout. The Title letters "Storm" are clear floral stickers. I brushed flocking on the back sticker part to make them stand out just a it more than they would have. The other letters are stamped on in old paper ink.

Above shows the detailing on the chipboard with the mesh and paint. I really like the way they turned out.


Above is a closeup of the beaded flourishes I made. the tutorial can be found here.

I really liked how the background paper turned out. I was going for that worn wood plank look with the whitewash so I used strips of brown and painted them streaky with gesso then added touches of crackle paint. I then added a touch of old paper Distress ink to the edges and the crackle bits to age them and glued the strips down in a random pattern on the paper.
And below shows the hidden journaling

Because of the strange title I added a hidden journal tag behind the photo. It is pulled out when you pull on the flower to the side of the photo. I gave the page the title " The calm before the storm" because this is a picture that was taken Easter Sunday 2006 just before we got the call that Mom was back in the hospital with internal bleeding from her last Chemo treatment. Little did we know then but it was the beginning of a hellish few days. Mom Passed away a few days later in Hospital. The picture just reminds me of how peaceful things seemed that Easter Sunday before the call. We had spent a wonderful day on Good Friday with Mom, Pop, Sister and the kids just Dying eggs and having fun. Little did we know the tough week looming ahead of us.
I really enjoyed Scrapping this photo and the memories it brought good and bad, and I am really happy with the way the page turned out. Now its off to finish up chores before bed. Have a wonderful night and thanks for stopping in. Angela

10 comments:

Lynne said...

Wow! what a stunning LO. Such beautiful flowers and those beaded flourishes are fabulous love the pastel colours and softness this page relays.

A very sad story Angela, I hope you find comfort when you look back. Hugs Lynne xx

Deb said...

Your layout is beautiful. I love your beaded florishes....they are gorgeous. Such a special page for a very special memory.

Julie said...

Love the detail you have put into your layout. Thanks for playing along with us at shabby.

Poppet said...

Beautiful Lo Angela, the colours are wonderful. I agree with Deb it is a special way to remember. The picture is gorgeous and the flowers look stunning. :-) xx

mandysea said...

soooooooooo pretty!!! I love the colour you have used! Love that lemon among the pink!
Thanks for playing along with Shabby!

Vibeke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vibeke said...

Hi:)
What a nice layout you have created. You had so many nice details, and I love the details:) So very nice the beaded flourishes was. Great tutorial you had made on them. Such, I wanted to make though:)

Thank you for participating at Shabby:)

Have a great and creative day:)

zandra said...

Great take on the challenge! Leaving for London Wed. night, we'll be in Brussells until Sunday night then the rest of the week back in London. Hope we can hook up. I'll email you Gabby's phone. hugz, Z

Ruth Philps said...

What a beauitufl but sad story behind the photo thank you for sharing and for playing along with us at Shabby:)

Sandy Ang said...

Such a lovely layout and the photo is just adorable. Your delicate yellow flower embellishment is so unusual !
Hope to see you at my challenge - http://angsandy.blogspot.com/2010/11/sandys-challenge-1.html